Friday, February 25, 2011

Snow Day

So, we got dumped on a bit and high winds to boot. Which begs the question, why was I in the middle of the pasture working on the porcupine game with my girls? The answer: I love them and am dedicated to making this work, well, that and I'm a bit concerned at the dominance that Brenna's been showing lately.

So Kate was an angel and did everything I asked politely (thank gods some of this stuck in there after five years!), until I took the halter off and started to play with Brenna. Then I had to drive her away just to be able to play safely.

Brenna took the snow today as a cue for amazing amounts of play drive, energy and dominance. I got to the point where I had to accept a 1/4 circle of porcupine (after she tried to run me over and when that didn't work she tried running away) as a success because I just plain didn't have the energy or body heat (BRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!) to keep at it. This wouldn't be so galling if it weren't for the fact that this horse has done old level 3 ground work and old level 2 riding skills before (see what six weeks vacation does to a young dominant horse). But we came to an agreeable stopping point. :)

They were happy to see me bringing out their grain buckets when we were done. I use a big blue sled (the plastic kind with sides so I don't have to carry feed and hay. It may weigh more than 25lbs, but it doesn't pull back more than 25lbs.

Pregnancy side note- nails grow fast, cut them before they get so long you pull one by stepping on a snow bank. Also, avoid eating right before playing with horses, morning sickness strikes at the worst times, like in the middle of backing your horse (thankfully it was Kate).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home